Friday, July 30, 2010

Boundary Waters





     While I'm not in Belgium yet, I thought it would be a good idea to get this blog up so I can get used to it and get it set up. So hello everyone.
     I guess I will make this first entry about my trip to the boundary waters. I went up to northern Minnesota with my dad, brother, and 5 other guys from my scout troop and we spent 6 days and 5 nights in the moat beautiful and untouched piece of nature I have ever seen. I don't even know how to describe it. I'll let my pictures say what I can't.



     Besides the physical beauty, the fact that it was untouched by people made the whole experience that much more pure. No phones, iPods, plumbing, motor boats, or fridges. Navagation out there was challenging, but lots of fun. We got lost only a few times-- once was mostly my fault I will admit-- but in the brilliant words of Kyle Ball "Well, the map is wrong." And it wasn't just navigation, *everything* took work, and all of those jewels were generated by me or someone in my group. This gave me the feeling that I personally owned the result, and so tasks that I considered mundane at home became adventures, and the results of my labors were my creations. Portaging 3/4 of a mile over rocky terrain wasn't just moving from point a to b. It was an achivement-- my achivement-- my victory. And my only reward was being that much further into the wilderness; my only trophy were the blisters on my feet (they are looking pretty nasty). The work was hard and made me appriciate everything. The isolation was beautiul and gave me time to think.
     Now the isolation was not completely without contact. I still had the 7 other members of my crew and myself to deal with. Now I can't say there weren't moments I wanted to capsize the canoe along with certain individuals with us, but with only a few exceptions, I adored our crew. Just like any other group, we had our qwerks, but they made the journey interesting and fun. 

Brian
Chaney
Kyle
      Isaac      My Dad         Me    
    
 *Mr. Butner, Chaney's Dad, and Mr. Ball, Kyle's Dad, were also part of our group.
I didn't take any pictures of them that I found all that flattering, and I am sorry.
 They were there and a huge part of the group. I'm sorry proper credit can't be given.
     But now I'm back in contact with the world, enjoying some water that doesn't taste like licking rust. I missed you all, which makes me realize how much more I will miss you when I am really gone.
     As I type I am headed back home. I am sorry for the length of this first entry, but as usual, I have a lot to say, and strangely I have time to write it. I look forward to hopefully seeing you all at least one last time before I leave.



                   Faites un bon voyage.
~Weston Halberstadt

No comments:

Post a Comment